Friday 15 August 2014

Past obsessions.

You may describe history as your passion, or an obsession. Either one, its time consuming. Its also very expensive. You may travel 100 miles to visit a castle. So that's petrol money, entrance fees, lunch and if your anything like me, a large some spent in the gift shop at the end. Then their are the countless books you have bought, yes, the costs soon add up.


For me history is a passion and its certainly an obsession, but its much more than that, its a job. I work in archaeology and also teach history. One day I might be teaching a class of 7 year olds. The next day it will be university students. Its important that I don't become stale in a certain period of time. So not only do I visit our incredible monuments and attractions like all history lovers, I am often up late into the night reading. My librarian knows me by name and looks at me suspiciously if I borrow any book other than history.

Its also important for history lovers to do a lot of reading online. in fact its necessary. History is constantly being re-written. New theories come along almost weekly, some are very good, whilst others will never be proven. You want to stay up-to-date on the latest views. Books are great but they often become out of date very quickly.

well its late so I'm going to keep this post short.   

No comments:

Post a Comment